My love affair with wild garden style floristry shows no abating. Although this movement in floristry is gaining ground, it is still tricky to purchase the florals that epitomise this style. This is mainly due to the flowers themselves not being that great for the Dutch importers to transport. This is where style, opportunity and all things British have had a happy collision.
Last year, I decided to try my hand at growing my own flowers and in the process found a wonderful flower farmer just up the road from me.
The British movement of grown not flown, florals that have minimal transport miles and maximum impact on the fauna and flora of the British countryside, is gaining momentum. Greenery is even the Pantone colour of the year for 2017.
In a world where the only certainty is uncertainty, we are seeking a calming, steading influence, and what could more epitomise this than nature and the countryside that has long provided solace, consistency and a sense of belonging for us all.
I learnt a great deal last year and this has formed my floral resolutions for this year.
- test my clay soil to the limits see if it is infact good for growing roses
- grow more sweetpeas – the world needs more sweetpeas
- invest in a greenhouse so that the house is not turned into one again and I no longer water the floor boards – they don’t like it
- continue to appear the eccentric lunatic to the neighbours by hunting down the rather large population of snails and quite frankly the most giant slugs I have ever seen in my life ( this is doubly renewed having seen the mistle thrush bouncing across the garden today with his beautiful speckled breast)
- be very nice to my other half when it is time to plant up the dahlia tubers. They occupied a rather large part of the heated kitchen floor but even he had to admit that it worked splendidly
The world needs more sweetpeas.
I am now a proud seedling member of Flowers From The Farm, a group of flower growers from up and down the British Isles whose common bond is a passion for farming British flowers.
I am excited about growing and designing my own wild florals. I wish you and yours health and happiness for this new year. They are precious gifts to be cherished.
Please Share If You Like My Work